FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is that it then?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 21 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by A2Z

Iíve often thought that a kickstarter campaign would be useful. Take deposits for a new class but promise to only build if you get, say, 25 deposits. And return the deposit if you donít get 25 takers. Helps the buyer know they will have critical mass racing and helps fund the tooling for the builder.

I believe that's the basic premise of Kickstarter. But a national fleet of 25 would be a bit marginal maybe even in the beginning?
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
H2 View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 21 at 10:33am
Not sure what the minimum number of boats for a fleet is - I purchased the 15th H2 to be built and we seemed to get to around 25 or 30 boats shortly thereafter. That was enough for 18 boats at the nationals and some good opens as well as plenty of chatter on the association FB page between owners. Then Brexit and COVID came along and things really slowed down. I recall chatting to a friend who expressed that it was a make or break time for the class so I was relieved when lockdown ended and the orders started to flow in. Last weekend the 50th boat was launched and the order book is full for the year ahead. Interestingly the boats sell within a few days when they come up and the cost of depreciation is around £500 per year which is pretty good. As one of the last "new" classes I hope this info helps in the discussion?
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 21 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by H2

the cost of depreciation is around £500 per year which is pretty good.

that's exceptional - I always banked on £1000 per annum, it could easily be worse.
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 21 at 12:37pm
Many established classes started out with a lot less than 25 boats and usually can trace their heritage back to one or two clubs, so I think there is a difference between local viability and national critical mass.  Given how varied conditions are across the nation, it could well be that a modular design, allowing open rig/sail/foil choices would be better than trying to start a new OD class?

For example inland owners may prefer deeper foils and higher rigs, whereas sea sailors may prefer centre-boards and lower aspect sails.
Feeling sorry for vegans since it became the latest fad to claim you are one
Grumpycat View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grumpycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 21 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by turnturtle

Originally posted by H2

that's exceptional - I always banked on £1000 per annum, it could easily be worse.

Evening TT . Well you have always been the forums expert on depreciation , with the amount of class jumping you did  LOL

Anyway glad youíre back again however fleetingly. Still enjoying the Spanish sunshine? 
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 21 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Grumpycat

Originally posted by turnturtle

Originally posted by H2

Evening TT . Well you have always been the forums expert on depreciation

Not the only thing he was expert at...

Grumpycat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grumpycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 21 at 3:45pm
Itís still  a better look than seeing him in a wetsuit.  Wink

Tbh he looks more like Merlinboy in that picture .
maxibuddah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 21 at 10:58pm
thats because that is Russ. Jimbo never wore the bottle
Everything I say is my opinion, honest
Grumpycat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grumpycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 21 at 11:29pm
I thought so . But it would be unlike me to call grf wrong lol .
Iíve had loads of disagreements with James over the years  but have never taken it personally.
I cannot say the about Russ. He took against me early on with the Dzero when I said it looked like a wet boat. I went to the dinghy show the year after the Dzero launched, and he wouldnít speak to me , he just glared at me and my wife when we went to the Dzero stand. He even attacked my wife on fb on a unrelated post about her  not liking water in the face when sailing . He was a silly little boy in my view . 
On the other hand , he is not sailing now and I am sailing a Dzero and loving it .  Smile Smile

Edited by Grumpycat - 27 Nov 21 at 11:44pm
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 21 at 9:34am
Shows how peeved I was then could have sworn that was jimbo in the bottle that night, but then I was busy dodging the dwarf t**sersÖ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234