FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is inflation impacting Nationals Attendance?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 24>
Author
Riv View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Riv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 22 at 6:42am
Our club Laser fleet were all donated, easier to give them to us than to sell them.
Mistral Div II prototype board, Original Windsurfer, Hornet built'74.
Demelza View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Demelza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 22 at 11:07am
worth a read
https://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/252024/What-made-the-ILCA-Nationals-a-success

turnturtle View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 22 at 12:24pm
Well done Mozzy! Good luck in the new role too

https://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/252244/RS800-UK-National-Championship-overall
Grumpycat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grumpycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 22 at 3:51pm
+1 well done Mozzy. 
Especially for stepping up to be on the class committee. A lot of smaller classes are finding very difficult to get people to step up to do these jobs 

Edited by Grumpycat - 02 Aug 22 at 8:14pm
D-zero
Ex Laser x2
Ex British Moth x4
Ex Lightning 368
Ex Supernova
Mozzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 22 at 1:55am
Thanks... I guess it's time to stop talking about weak attendances on forums and start doing in real life! 
Old Timer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Old Timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 22 at 7:52am
Originally posted by Mozzy

Thanks... I guess it's time to stop talking about weak attendances on forums and start doing in real life! 

What’s your plan? Maybe interesting to start a new topic to chart your progress back to 50 boat fleets. 

Edited by Old Timer - 03 Aug 22 at 7:53am
NickA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 22 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by CT249

Class...the Contender fleet there has gone from nine boats to zero.....I wonder if they heard that light modern boats are the way to go and therefore they sold their 1960s design 85kg boats?

Indeed, mine weighs 78.5kg already and they insist on putting nearly 5kg extra lead in it! Nuts. Though it is at least made from epoxy and has a full carbon rig ( So has moved on a little more since 1967 than the laser has since 1969) and in F3+, even at my beginner level, it still screams past Aero's and lasers without the need for hiking.

34 boats at the Nationals in 2022, but it was 50 boats 10 years ago. Similar decline to the ilca 7. Meanwhile, Aero national attendance still hitting 100.
Javelin 558
Contender 2574
CT249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CT249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 22 at 10:47am
You're comparing one of the five Laser nationals (with a total of 315 boats) to all of the Aero nationals.

The Lasers had open nationals for 4.7s, 6s and 7, and a separate Masters nationals for 6s and 7s. Discounting all Masters age sailors from the Open nationals, we see that the ILCA 7 had 34 starters in the "open" age group and 50 starters in the Masters nationals, so at least 84 racing at Nationals. There were 93 ILCA 4s, and 138 6s (86 under 30s in the Opens and 52 Masters)

Aero 7 had 53 starters at their nationals. Aero 5 had 27; Aero 6 8; Aero 9 13. 

The Lasers actually had more boats than they had in the '80s, so they are certainly not a fading class. Changing rig size to attract a dramatically wider range of sailors is arguably more of an innovation than changing construction.

Edited by CT249 - 07 Aug 22 at 11:57am
salmon80 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote salmon80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 22 at 6:35am
Nationals where there are reasonable numbers of men and women (especially if its over an age range) seem to be doing well - Merlin RS200 etc

Nationals where its all blokes maybe less so

I've sailed in both sorts of classes and the atmosphere at a male/female young/old nationals is much better in my opinion
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 22 at 10:10am
Salmon80.
Absolutely. The diversity of age and gender in my two person class makes it a joy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 24>