Please select your home edition
Edition
Leaderboard brokerage

Two more medals secured for Team GB sailors - but colour yet to be decided

by Will Carson, RYA 1 Aug 2021 11:46 UTC 25 July - 4 August 2021

Giles Scott in the Finn and John Gimson & Anna Burnet in the Nacra 17 both have insurmountable leads over fourth place, with the Brits riding high after Emma Wilson's Women's RS:X bronze yesterday.

Glamour conditions returned to Enoshima today with an 8-10 knots Southerly wind early on, building into teens later.

Giles Scott in the Finn won the first race of the day, his sixth of the series, and took a seventh to maintain his position at the top of the fleet, while Gimson & Burnet in the Nacra 17 strung together another set of top five results and sit second overall.

Ali Young finished her third Olympic campaign in tenth overall after an eighth-place finish in the Laser Radial medal race.

Hannah Mills & Eilidh McIntyre took a race win and a third to move to the top of the Women's 470 by one point over their Polish rivals. Luke Patience & Chris Grube in the Men's 470 are in fourth overall after two top ten race results today.

The 470s finish their fleet racing tomorrow while the Finn and Nacra 17 fleets have a rest day ahead of Tuesday's medal races.

Charlotte Dobson & Saskia Tidey go into Monday's 49erFX medal race in fifth, 11 points off the top spot and only eight off the podium with racing starting at 6.33am BST.

Dylan Fletcher & Stu Bithell will go for gold in the 49er medal race an hour later at 7.33am BST, with just four points splitting them and first placed Peter Burling and Blair Tuke (NZL).

Quotes:

470 Men

Luke Patience, 34, from Rhu, Scotland, said:

"It wasn't our best day but it was good enough to keep our eye on the prize. We are still in the fight and we can go to our beds knowing we can fight for any colour of medal still which is all you can hope for. To be able to say that is vital.

"Conditions have been hard today actually. The wind strength in our boat, she's never flowing quite beautifully. You are fighting for the speed, there's not much flow. Just fighting, fighting, fighting for the speed. Our class is very dynamic because we are able to use our kinetics and bodies to pump the sails so it was a full battle. The heart rates were high.

"Downwinds were nice though because there was good waves, but upwind, that was a war. A war all day."

Chris Grube, 36, from Chester, Cheshire, said:

"There's still a long way to go. There's two fleet races and a medal race. I kind of feel like we made a few mistakes today but ultimately if we can pick up from there and tighten the screws a little bit we will be in good shape."

470 Women

Hannah Mills, 33, from Cardiff, Wales, said:

"Obviously happy with our position but a lot can change. We have two more races but we are happy with how we have put together the regatta so far. We are trying to be consistent, keep chomping away, get points back. It's super tight but we will see how it goes tomorrow"

Eilidh McIntyre, 27, from Hayling Island, Hants, said: "We had a good day today, but so did the Polish team. They are sailing amazingly well. It's really tight on points, it's really close. We have to see what tomorrow brings and go out there and get two good results."

Laser Radial

Ali Young, 34, from Bewdley, Worcestershire, said:

"It was good fun. It's just cool to be racing some of these girls that I have been racing with for 14-15 years. To see some of your mates get an Olympic medal is pretty cool.

"This week my sailing has just not been good enough. It's my last [Olympics] and I'm just really grateful for the support that I've got on the British Sailing Team. It's a privilege to race for your country, but it's a massive privilege to work with those guys.

"Positives? Well I've got a sun tan and a new t-shirt... look it's just a massive privilege to work with the guys and with a wonderful support team here and elsewhere. I'm just super grateful for the opportunity.

"I'm just going to go home, get a hug from my boyfriend and go back to my happy place on Chesil Beach. That's my last race in a Laser Radial, and it's pretty cool."

Finn

Giles Scott, 34, from Huntingdon, Cambs, said:

"It was good; 10-12 knots, great racing, certainly no complaints from me.

"There's been a few of us that have put together really a great series this week and it hasn't really opened itself up for any shenanigans, so to speak, at the end of the week. So I'm just focussed on my own racing.

"I won a race and got a seventh which, I think, failing any catastrophe, guarantees me a medal which is an amazing place to be. But it's not over. I just have to try and go and win the final race.

"I had to put in a good showing today. The guys are stacked up behind me and I am not the only one putting together an amazing series. I think go back four years I think there was three people who could have won the regatta with a day to spare so I'm happy leading them out going into the medal race after putting together an amazing week and grateful I've managed to do that.

"I've probably sailed the best week of my life I think and hopefully I can finish it off.

"I think I have nine points [ahead of second], which is a little buffer, but in a double points medal race it's not a done deal. I have to bring my A game again and try and go out and win the race. Everyone is going to be looking over their shoulder.

"Every day is super stressful. In sailing we deal with so many variables, it's such a complex sport and I'm sure the viewers will find it tricky to follow sometimes. It's been a stressful week. I'm happy with what I have put together and I'm sure in two days time it's going to be another stressful day."

Nacra 17

John Gimson, 38, from Congleton, Cheshire, said:

"Today was one of those days when it was completely make-or-break for the regatta. We were really happy with some solid counters and how we performed. We really need to do that.

"We've put a lot of days in on the water over the past four years focussing on speed. That discipline goes a long way.

"We train with the Italians and today it kind of felt like a training day at the front battling it out between each other. We enjoy it and I know the Italians enjoy the rivalry. We are good friends and they have sailed very well this week.

"Obviously I want to win gold but I will admit I shed a tear when I heard the results of a protest that confirmed our medal. For me it has been a 20-year journey and it's a big relief to show myself that I can actually do it. Words can't describe it, honestly."

Full results and the competition schedule can be found here.

Related Articles

Henri-Lloyd support Sea Shepherd Ghostnet Campaign
By turning Black Friday 'Blue' Whilst many retailers were dropping their prices during Black Friday 2021, Henri-Lloyd did the complete opposite and turned Black Friday 'Blue'. Posted on 25 Jan
Protection measures for North Atlantic right whale
A message from NOAA Fisheries Assistant Administrator on a meeting among U.S. and Canadian officials Fisheries' Deputy Assistant Administrator for Regulatory Programs, Sam Rauch, and our Regional Administrator for the Greater Atlantic Regional Fisheries Office, Mike Pentony, joined me for this meeting. Posted on 22 Jan
ARC January 2023 - Entries open
Due to set sail from Las Palmas de Gran Canaria on 23rd January 2023 Demand from sailors worldwide for spaces on the November 2022 Atlantic Rally for Cruisers routes - ARC+ & ARC 2022 - continues to be exceptional and WCC has now confirmed they will once again offer a 3rd route choice for eager ralliers - ARC January 2023. Posted on 22 Jan
Discover the new Excess Model
A pure concentration of the Excess DNA! Attention all sailors! We couldn't wait to announce the news... coming 2022 we will be launching a new Excess model, a pure concentration of the Excess DNA! Posted on 22 Jan
ARC January Yacht Brainstorm abandoned
Following rudder damage and water ingress At approximately 2100 UTC on Tuesday 18 January ARC Rally Control was informed by MRCC Ponta Delgada of an alert from ARC January yacht Brainstorm (NED), reporting the yacht's rudder had been damaged and the boat was taking on water. Posted on 21 Jan
Herni-Lloyd Organic Fisherman Crew Knit
A contemporary interpretation of a true classic A contemporary interpretation of a true classic, our New Fisherman Knit is made using 100% organic cotton and features a salt washed look to feel like an old favourite from first wear. Posted on 20 Jan
WHOI shares microplastic detection project details
Project gains additional funding, technologies to move towards a field-portable sensing system Microplastics are tiny plastic pieces that can be found in the ocean and atmosphere. Posted on 20 Jan
CA publishes new Inland Waterways Cruising guides
The Cruising Association's sixteen authoritative publications New and updated print and digital editions of the Cruising Association's (CA) five main inland waterways cruising guides - Cruising the Inland Waterways of France and Belgium, Through the Netherlands via the Standing Mast Routes. Posted on 19 Jan
Interview with Marine Resources CEO and Founder
James Ward talks about the dramatic shift in the jobs market The marine industry has boomed since the pandemic as more people discover the benefits of being out on the water, leading to dramatic shift in the jobs market. Posted on 18 Jan
Whales and Waves, but not a lot of Wind!
Waking up with dolphins, a coffee and fresh pancakes in ARC January "Waking up with dolphins, a coffee and fresh pancakes. What a way to start the day!" report Johan, Agnes and Lisa, heading into their second week at sea on their Lagoon 46 Maxim 46 sailing with ARC January. Posted on 17 Jan
Crewsaver 2021 Safetyline FOOTERJ Composites 2020 - FOOTERNorth Sails 2021 Innovation - FOOTER